POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Rune
Date: 27 Feb 2001 16:23:28
Message: <3a9c1ad0@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> I will probably add a liquid particle type as well, which
> will also do convection, as well as other liquid behaviors...
> or eliminate different particle types altogether.

Generally I am against the whole concept of types in POV-Ray features. They
are unavoidable sometimes, but I think that they should be avoided for the
most part.

When a feature has different types it is the programmer who decides which
types are available. Instead the programmer should make the feature so
flexible that all types can be achieved by using different settings, as well
as everything in between, and also for things the programmer didn't even
think of.

Think about it - wouldn't it be annoying if there was an "indoor radiosity
type" and an "outdoor radiosity type" and just a few others? I know I would
feel like some decisions had been made for me.

I think the particle_system should be general enough to simulate all kinds
of particles using the same set of settings, and without having specific
preset types.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org